Prev: Re: HOBBY PRODUCTS SF Next: SG Great War

Weapon Modelling

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:42:55 -0400
Subject: Weapon Modelling

The Irrepressible Richard said:
The model of beams being energy projectors that pepper a region of space
where the ship could be is workable enough; although, really following
through on that theme would be to compute range bands as a function of
mass and thrust.  This is actually a good way to solve the problem of
little ships evaporating at long range.  A function that I would be
interested in testing would be a base value plus a modifier that
depended on the (mass)^(2/3), minus a modifier that depended on the
square of the thrust.  Proportionality constants keep the numbers to an
appropriate range.  To reflect that, at close ranges, no amount of
agility will evade a lightspeed weapon, the first range band has a
minimum value of 6mu.

This type of modelling has the potential to end the problem of escorts
being outranged by capital ships, and the calulations need only be done
three times for each design (undamaged, damaged, and zero thrust).

[Tomb]: Richard, please tell me what the difference between a ship of
arbitrary mass of thrust 4 and a ship of arbitrary mass of thrust 6 is,
if neither are under power? The problem is you'd have to do something
like an SFB-esque Erratic Manouvering concept and have it use up (to be
sensible) some of the available thrust (I think in SFB it was 25% or
something).

Prev: Re: HOBBY PRODUCTS SF Next: SG Great War