Prev: Re: [SG] conversion for WWs Next: Oceanic Union Flag ?

Re: [SG] conversion for WWs

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:14:48 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [SG] conversion for WWs

Allan Goodall schrieb:
[...lots of good suggestions snipped...]
> 2. Weapon versus Armour and Cover Interaction
>
> Yes, I know that Firepower is not used for armour
> penetration. However, Firepower in SG2 determines the number of
potential
> casualties. If you use FP 0.5 you end up with a lot of D4s being
rolled,
> which will increase the number of suppressions (and decrease the
number
> potential casualties). Since WW2 was usually fought with squads
hugging
> cover, you're likely to get D6 and D8 range dice rolls even firing at
figures > in the first range band.

> You pretty much need a FP 1 on the rifle to get the kind
> of casualties you'd expect in a WW2 firefight.

Actually, from what I've read on WW2 infantry firefights - both
statistics and stories from individual events - infantry casualties
were quite low compared to what you see in typical wargames. Especially
in skirmish games like Stargrunt where you have actual wounded and
killed, rather than more abstract 'casualties' to represent degraded
performance.

On the other hand, soldiers were very quick to take cover when shot
at.

If you accept this, high levels of suppressions and low actual
casualties would be the way to a realistic game.

Whether you like such a game is a different matter, as seen in the
comments below.

> 4. Game Speed
>
> This ties in with point 2. If you give rifles a FP 0.5,
> you'll end up with lots of suppressions and fewer casualties. This
means
> that there will be fewer morale losses, more rolling for suppression
removal, > and a slower pace of the game.

----

> A belt fed MG-34 on a bipod would be a D8 or D10. An
> MG-42 on a tripod would be a D10 or D12. A tripod mounted vickers or
.50 MG
> would be a D12. An American .30 calibre MG would be in the D10
range.

Perhaps there's a slight confusion here. You make it sound as if MG-34
is a bipod weapon and MG-42 tripod-mounted. Actually, the MG-42 was a
cheaper (but better !) replacement for the MG-34 model. Both could be
use on bipods or mounted on tripods or on vehicles. Firepower for both
should be equal. The MG-42 had a higher theoretical rate-of-fire but I
don't think this is relevant in game terms. I'm not sure it's
bipod-mounted firepower should be better than that of a Bren or other
LMG. A higher FP dice is justified for tripod/vehicle mounted versions
due to the easier aiming.

Is the D12 for a heavy .50 MG justified ? I would tend to give it lower
FP but higher impact.

Greetings

Prev: Re: [SG] conversion for WWs Next: Oceanic Union Flag ?