Prev: RE: [FH] FCT founding talk Next: Re: [SG] And now for something completely on-topic. . .

Re: [OT] Tutrtledove's Alternate History of the UC Civil War

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 03:11:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Tutrtledove's Alternate History of the UC Civil War

(I have snipped my previous comments to keep the message from growing
too much...)

John Atkinson wrote:

> Unrelated works, do keep in mind.  Guns of the South
> involved time-travelling South African Nazis.  How Few
> Remain involve some orders NOT being used to wrap
> cigars and not being lost.

Oh yes indeedy!  I do understand.  Both were interesting tho'

> Actually, it's pretty well stated that this is a
> development.	After Lincoln becomes the world's
> biggest pariah in US politics he very well could go to
> a bit more extreme position than he actually held.

Interesting.  Thats something I hadn't considered yet...(I learn
somthing new every day!)

> Heh.	Things get different in his World War series.
> CSA has the same problems.

I haven't read that series yet.  Too much other sci-fi to get through.
(not enough time to read!  Blast-it-all!)

> You have to remember that the US Army really _did_
> trip all over it's dick in 1898 and only beat the
> Spanish because the Spanish were even worse (and their
> Navy was a joke).  That was the shock needed for the
> US Army to actually start preparing to fight a war
> against other armies rather than whacking Indians.

Interesting.  One question just occured to me.
Would (in the series under discussion) the extra war or two before
WW1speed this process up?
ie: how many slaps in the face would it take to wake 'em up?
 If they get more slaps early, would this change the rate of
improvement?
Or were they "resistant" to those kinds of changes until 1898?

> And Doctor Turtledove has a PhD in "Real History."

Yes I recognize his PhD status.  I will never attain that level.  (Sigh)

I am just a humble amature trying to create interesting places like the
writing greats do/did.
Like Turtledove, H. Beam Piper, ect.

I found out by reading Piper's works, and the ones about his works, that
he cramed a huge amount
of real history into each of his stories.  Even the purely Sci-fi ones.
Fastenating!
He seemed to understand the way real peaple think/react, social and
historical effects, ect.
So I have been trying to study real history to improve my imaginary
ones...

> John

> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Donald Hosford

Prev: RE: [FH] FCT founding talk Next: Re: [SG] And now for something completely on-topic. . .