Prev: Canuck lapdogs Next: Re: [OT] Russian things

American Breakup

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:23:13 -0400
Subject: American Breakup

Beth,

We know Canada comes to the rescue (or
whatever) of USA with Britain. What I'm curious
about is what kept US from falling apart during
the same time period, why we weren't in there
helping the Yanks (or were we), and why some
of this disaster didn't spill over into our
territory as well and how we ever put together
enough force to help out?

I'd suggest:
-- Canadian latent anti-US sentiment suffers a
rise in the 2000-2010 era due to ludicrous US
protectionism. This leads to a bit of a split and
some nastiness which convinces the Canadian
populace that at least a minor military upgrade
is required (including some fringe-ist rumblings
from the US about "securing strategic oil and
water resources" in the event of trouble). This
gives an upgunned RCMP and military to patrol
the border and help keep the US troubles from
spilling over plus a chance to help the US out
when the chance comes.
-- Some troubles do spill over into Canada, and
some violence ensues. Not enough to
destabilize things, but enough to make people
real serious about preventing a repeat. And a
French Canadian government (ousted as a
result of the US collapse because it was
ineffective in preventing it and the ensuing
chaos) has less interest in intervening in the
USA than an equivalent ango-Canadian
government might.
-- The isolationist movements maintain a "we fix
our own problems, bugoff" attitude towards
external offers of help pre-collapse. So
Canadians, though wanting to offer a hand,
aren't able to, and are sometimes kind of
irritated with the rhetoric that comes out of the
various factionalist leaders in the South.
-- As the protectionist and isolationist US
movements end up causing the calamity,
perhaps Canada and Britain come in to aide the
American people (whom they basically like, if
not all of them) with the intention of maybe
removing a mass of chaos and economic
collapse (which will impact the world situation
rather unfortunately) with some semblance of
order again, maybe in the hopes to reconstitute
the US in a more useful and less volatile
manner. For Canada, this might actually be self
defense as a lawless and divided nation to the
south would be very problematic. It would also
be in our nature to want to help. We complain
about our brethren to the south, but in the
same way you complain about annoying
siblings. We'd still want to go down and dig
them out. Besides, a lot of ex-pats from either
country live in the other.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Canuck lapdogs Next: Re: [OT] Russian things