Prev: Re: [OT] UN civpol Next: Re: Fir-Built Frigates

Re: The same old shit!!!

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 15:37:09 +1000
Subject: Re: The same old shit!!!

At 02:59  31/05/02 -0700, Eric wrote:
> [...]
Twice.

> > Unfortunately (for American ego's that's not entirely correct) As I
> > previously mentioned the arrival of fresh American troops had
brought
> > forward the end of the war, but the war was lost to the Germans.
>
>I'm sorry.  This claim simply is not transacting in reality.  Yes,
American
>military presence and its effect on both World Wars and their eventual
>outcome is debateable.  The effect of the American supply base and
>industrial might on the Allied war effort as a whole is not.

<snip>

Germany a continental European power was never going to win a drawn out
war
against a coalition that included Great Britain, a global empire. When
the
American troops arrived, the war in Europe was shifting from trench
warfare
to a mobile phase, which ended in the breaking of the Hindenberg line.

>Remove Adolf Hitler from his disastrous meddling in military and
diplomatic
>decision making from about 1940 onward, and the chances of Allied
victory in
>the European theatre of World War II would have been basically zero.
That
>stipulates three different crucial changes:

Remove Hitler and friends and there may not have even being a war :)
Although there probably would still have seen a war between the US and
Japan.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com
URL; http://www.users.bigpond.com/derekfulton/

Prev: Re: [OT] UN civpol Next: Re: Fir-Built Frigates