Prev: Re: Whining from foreigners. Next: RE: Cola Wars Re: [FH] americas

Free Cal-Tex RE: [FH] IF, PAU, FSE and ESU

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:11:33 -0400
Subject: Free Cal-Tex RE: [FH] IF, PAU, FSE and ESU

The fluff I use is based a bit further into the future than the
formation...  And made some assumptions due to the group around here's
love
of the SDN.

Quick run down of (admittedly my) FCT ships:
Break-away:  NAC ships, FCT crews.  Some minor varients.

First years:  In order to build their economy very quickly, mining,
specifically asteroid, was adopted, and large amounts of autonomy and
benefits (tax breaks, gov't funds, etc) were given to businesses.
Larger
vessels (Cruisers and higher) were purchased from NAC and NSL shipyards
as
is.  Smaller ships, when possible, were built locally, or contracted out
NAC and NSL shipbuilding yards, but with FCT specifications.  Merchant
vessels were built locally, but in order to save costs, were armed so
that
they wouldn't need large escorts.  This had the side effect of several
merchant "wars" and pirating.  Many varients are seen here on ships of
all
sizes, as refitting is easier and requires less resources than building.

Later years:  Ships built at FCT yards whenever possible, contracted out
NAC and NSL yards but with FCT specs when necessary.  Merchant fleets
and
piracy reigned in by military intervention whenever possible; However,
Claim jumping, piracy, and the occasional merchant fight still occurs
frequently.

I'll also note that my designs tend to mount P-torps where you would
find
Class 3's on NAC and NSL ships, this being a first major refit of many
of
those ships.  (I was looking for flavor, where ESU=big beams, NSL=slow
tanks, FSU=Salvo's, and NAC=fast and beams, thus FCT=P-torps and medium
fast speeds (5 is fleet average))

Rand.