Prev: Re: The same old shit!!! Next: Re: [OT] Invading America

RE: [OT] An Idea

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 23:41:35 +0100
Subject: RE: [OT] An Idea

From: ~ On Behalf Of Z. Lakel
Sent: 29 May 2002 22:13
Subject: [OT] An Idea

> I was thinking that ... it might be easier for those
> of us to filter out the noise if rather than using a
> mailing list, we were to use a newsgroup format

Hear! Hear!
But most of the "noise" occurs on threads that started
out well enough then went bad. The message subject
doesn't change until two or three posts later. There's
a perfectly good scheme for labelling subjects that I
see you've observed.

> In the mean time, i cobbled togther such a messageboard
> It is located at http://zlakel.mattwhitlock.com/phpBB2/.

INFIDEL!

(After due thought, I considered writing that in banner
 text to be a little over the top.)

<pre-snip flame>
<pre-snip rant>

Suffice to say, my sentiments on HTML-based "news",
"mail" or other forms of web-based collaboration mirror
John A's views on those who misquote international law.

I have to heartily endorse all the points Roger has
made about the medium. If anything, he hasn't spelt out
all the disadvantages in full. Posting on-line encourages
trivial and rash comments. Archiving is the prerogative
of the site owner unless one is adept at scripting or
very patient. Membership of this list is by application
and abusers can be kicked off [allegedly]. I've got
through three ISPs dealing with this Majordomo server;
how long will the PHP host be around, and when change
comes, how much fun will be had moving the list?

Prev: Re: The same old shit!!! Next: Re: [OT] Invading America