Prev: KV vs HM, was: You think you're kidding. Next: Re: The same old shit!!!

Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

From: DAWGFACE47@w...
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:22:10 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

the  WAR OF 1812, as i recall ended  with the  repulse	"BEF" and  death
of the commander at BALTIMORE, and NEW ORLEANS (which was fought after
the treaty was	signed ending the  war) and pretty much helped the  UK
politicos,, generals and etc, think that re-launching another campaign
was not  worth it.

true the White House  was burned and the  USG fled  the area, the crap
militia under the crap politically appointed  General WINDER was chased
away at Bladensburg. but it  was also true that some of the same
militia was present and kicked redoat ass around  Baltimore.

the Northwest Frontier was a combat zone, with the redcoats and Canadian
fencibles looking at more numerous and battlehardened US Regulars and
Volunteers  (Volunteers by the way, are not the militia).

the Indian Allies of the  UK  were  defeated and  scattered, although
some hard injun campaigning  was still ahead for the US ARMY in the
south.

on the Lakes, it seems that the RN was	sunk, captured or in hiding,
while what was left f our little  Lake navy squadrons	 were left to do
as they pleased.

 what  was left of our tiny ocean   navy was trapped in port, but , as i
recall it, the Royal Navy was not exactly wetting ist pants with
excitement  at the prospects of going into those ports after them. i sem
to recall some	RN directives about  not engaging US frigates with
anything less than 64 s  or 74s after some  RATHER  embarassing RN
moment on the waters of the world.

and of course, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, decided to surrender
to the Brits, thus gaining the unique distinction of being the only
American State to formally surrender to a foreign power. i love to
remind politicians from Massachusetts of this  everytime they get too
holy . . . . .

soo, ALLAN me lad, it was not quite a crushing defeat inflicted upon us
by the might of British arms. . . . .

three of Conchy's hand picked  generals  sent to the New  World and
several thousand of his crack Penisular troops were dead too.

all in all not such a bad performance by Cousin Jonathon.

but then, look where we mostly came from as colonials: England,
Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Germany, with a smattering of other
Euro-dewds tossed in for seasoning.

Prev: KV vs HM, was: You think you're kidding. Next: Re: The same old shit!!!