Prev: Re: [SG] And now for something completely on-topic. . . Next: Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

Re: [OT] Turtledove

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:07:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Turtledove

--- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> I must say, I have pretty mixed feeling about that
> book. He has some
> good ideas about the cultural interaction between
> Lizards and Humans.
> Otherwise, I was not impressed. His descriptions of
> nations other than
> the USA are a mix of stereotypes and sloppy research
> [ I can elaborate
> on that if you wish ],

Keep in mind, when dealing with Germans he's a Jew
writing about a world where the Nazis stay in power
after WWII.  Objectivity is NOT going to be his strong
point.

and I found long stretches
> boring and somewhat
> repetitive. Nor did his character grab my attention.
> I didn't finish
> it.
>
> What are your opinions ? Are his other books better
> ?

Yes.

His Videssos series (a pair of trillogys and a
tetralogy) are. . . well, about the only way you can
make a good living of a PhD in Byzantine History.
Semi-fantastic renderings of Byzantine history.  It's
almost as much fun tracking down each of his allusions
as it is just reading the book.  My favorite of his
books is a collection entitled Agent of Byzantium
(point of departure: on a trading mission to Damascus,
Mohammed converts to Orthodoxy and spends the rest of
his days writing Christian hymns in a monastary in
Syria.)

His Great War series and it's prequel (How Few Remain)
are much better than his World War series.

John

Prev: Re: [SG] And now for something completely on-topic. . . Next: Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing