Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

Re: [OT] Turtledove

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:22:04 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Turtledove

John Sowerby schrieb:
> One set of ideas I do like is from Harry Turtledove. In a
> world where the CSA won at Antietam, and then won again 10 years
later
> with the aid of the French and British, the Great War opens out on
the US
> continent with the USA fighting with the Germans / Austrians, and the
CSA
> alongside the British and French.

How do you rate Turtledove ? He does have some neat ideas about
alternate histories. But...

So far I have only read 'Colonization: Second Contact'. For those who
don't know it: It is a follow-up to his 'World War' series, in which a
race of Alien Humanoid Lizards arrived right in the Middle or World War
II and tried to conquer Earth, but only managed to grab about half of
it. In 'Colonization' it's about 20 years later, Aliens and Humans have
somewhat settled down and learned to live with each other.

I must say, I have pretty mixed feeling about that book. He has some
good ideas about the cultural interaction between Lizards and Humans.
Otherwise, I was not impressed. His descriptions of nations other than
the USA are a mix of stereotypes and sloppy research [ I can elaborate
on that if you wish ], and I found long stretches boring and somewhat
repetitive. Nor did his character grab my attention. I didn't finish
it.

What are your opinions ? Are his other books better ?

Greetings

Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing