Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: [general] Silk Purse from a Sow's ear, was assorted Francophobic flame war stuff

Re: [OT] Invading America

From: John Sowerby <sowerbyj@f...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:19:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Invading America

>I agree.  I also aknowledge the political and cultural differences
between
>1910's USA and 1930's-40's USR, but there are some parallels: Vast
amounts
>of land to cover, drawn-out supply lines, hostile natives, and terrain
>friendly and familiar to the defenders.
>
>3B^2

Oh for sure. I would even say that invading Russia would be easier, as
at
least you have land communication. Invading the USA by sea, in the teeth
of
anything the Atlantic and then the various navies could throw at you
would
be nearly impossible.

One set of ideas I do like is from Harry Turtledove. In a world where
the
CSA won at Antietam, and then won again 10 years later with the aid of
the
French and British, the Great War opens out on the US continent with the

USA fighting with the Germans / Austrians, and the CSA alongside the
British and French.

John S.

---