Prev: Re: SG2 Which figures are on the front cover of SG2? Next: Re: GZG Map

RE: armor penatration - angle is important

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:53:56 -0400
Subject: RE: armor penatration - angle is important

From: Scott Siebold gamers@ameritech.net
>I am new to the list

Hi Scott.

>I read one of the articles about angled armor and I believe the author
missed the point. The angle that an AP (armor piercing) round hits at
does matters and makes the armor effectively thicker.

  If I recall the thread correctly, the initiator said that a sloped
plate does give effectively greater thickness, but also covers more
area.	So he/she was wondering if the weight from the extra area
offsets the savings from the slope.

  I didn't keep up with the thread, but given that at least one list
member designs anti-tank weapons for a living, I assume that the thread
eventually included the correct explanation of the whys and wherefores.

  This leads into the standard "welcome to the list" speech: we're happy
to see you.  We're a little peculiar at times, but most of us are civil
most of the time, and there are experts in a surprising number of fields
on this list: several astronomers, at least a platoon of computer
programmers, several soldiers, a couple of biologists.	If you need to
know what regiments were at Cold Harbor, or what colors go with a Blue
Ringed Octopus, or what it feels like to get thrown 100 feet when a mine
goes off under your tank, then someone here can probably tell you.

Prev: Re: SG2 Which figures are on the front cover of SG2? Next: Re: GZG Map