Prev: GZG Map Next: SG2 Which figures are on the front cover of SG2?

Re: Opinion / Respect

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 12:29:30 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Opinion / Respect

On Wed, 29 May 2002 05:32:27 -0700 Don M <dmaddox1@hot.rr.com> wrote:

>> All I can say is that Australians tend to be a bit more forthright
than polite. (You never would have guessed, right? :-) ) <<

> I knew there was a reason I liked you guys... <

It's a cultural tradition, generally referred to as "respect without
subservience" -- that is, give a person the respect to which he or she
is due, but if they're being a bloody idiot, tell them so! Ofttimes
cited as the reason for such things as Oz's aviation safety record, and
guaranteed to well and truly put the wind up certain Poms (especially
those writing for tabloids).

I've seen this in practice, and well remember the amazed looks I got
from workmates when I called the Chief Designer at a nameless British
aircraft factory on his apparent willingness to overlook the
"inconvenient" results of stress calculations that I'd spent weeks on.
The DO grapevine had me losing my temper with him and... well, I was
never quite sure what I was supposed to have done after that; no-one
was game to tell me! <g> Still, I got them to do proper tests on the
thing -- which it passed, so we were both right!

Phil
----
"I think... I think I am! Therefore I am... I think?"
				       -- The Moody Blues

Prev: GZG Map Next: SG2 Which figures are on the front cover of SG2?