Prev: [OFFICIAL] Last Orders Please for May deals...... Next: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

RE: Re: Bugs, usted to be Wolfman's grav tank model

From: John Hamill <jwdh71@y...>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:31:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Re: Bugs, usted to be Wolfman's grav tank model

  Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@tabletop-battlezone.com> wrote:
I know what you're talking about there. (The roadkill thing, not being
poor or eating pheasant.)

While I was an MP in New York, there was a list of people for each
county that would be called when a deer was hit and killed by a car if
they person driving the car didn't want the animal.

The animal was dead anyway... might as well get some use out of the
carcass. How much use could be had depended greatly on what internal
organ were ruptured on impact and how long the animal lay there before
being gutted, as the innards of a deer will begin to seep poisons into
the meat shortly after death, causing it to be less than palateable.

Now, a deer hit by a semi-truck... that's something I'd avoid scraping
up and taking home... The impacts tend to be rather spectacular (based
on the ONE I acutally saw) and the resultant mass is nothing that
resembles something that would be salvageable. And the truckers just
keep driving... I bet they'd mount a cow-catcher up front if they could
get away with it. (I live in Michigan, where deer seem to want to play
chicken on the highways during the fall/winter.)

--Flak

On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 11:49, Brian Bilderback wrote:
> >From: "laserlight@quixnet.net"
>
> >NSTRH: A few years ago the great state of West Virginia made it legal
for
> >people to pick up/takehome/eat roadkilled animals.
>
> Ok, I'm going to really show my upbringing here. That actually can run
the
> gamut from as gross as it sounds to not so bad. When I was young and
poor,
> my family hit a pheasant with the family car. It landed to the side of
the
> road. It was never run OVER, and never on the road, but technically it
was
> roadkilled. Yes, we ate it. It was delicious. an animal that's just
been
> killed by a car is no different than an animal killed by a rifle in
terms of
> edibility/deadness. It's the stuff that's been lying there that I
would
> never touch.
>
> 3B^2

When I drove tractor-trailers (only for about a year, it was a "gee I'd
like to try that once" job) I came across another of the company that I
worked for's trucks that had hit a cow. It was a newer model tractor,
thus the body was mostly made out of fiberglass and plastics, to save
weight. When I got there, the police and EMTs were already there, and
trying to save the driver's life. Most modern tractors, at least the
ones that are used by the bigger companies, are built very lightly for
such large vehicles, and are not designed to be able to roll away from
crashes, even with livestock. I had the misfortune to meet up with a
kamikazi turkey vulture in Arkansas, and my truck had to go into the
shop for 3 days before I could drive it again. Now some of the older
models out there, I would place odds on them in a collision with an

John

JohnDHamill@yahoo.com

Prev: [OFFICIAL] Last Orders Please for May deals...... Next: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery