Prev: Re: [OT]Episode II: I knew it! (Minor Spoiler) Next: Re: [FT] Scaling up for RPG play

[FT] Scaling up for RPG play

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:40:20 -0400
Subject: [FT] Scaling up for RPG play

Greetings,

I want to pick some brains (yes, that means you!) regarding a half-baked
idea I might have. I'm starting a MegaTraveller(ish) campaign where the
party of adventurers will eventually procure a small merchant ship. I
want to be able to accomodate some combat in space (light stuff) and I
have a number of options: Basic Traveller Starship Combat, Brilliant
Lances, MayDay, High Gaurd, etc. and I have this other game called Full
Thrust that I'd like to think might be even better than any of the
above.

Only, the ships are only 100-5000 tons displacement (mostly in the
100-800 ton range). And of course you want the player's abilities to
have some chance to have an impact on events (this kinda sounds like FMT
(Full Metal Thrust) that Roger Burton West and I have started tossing
around). So I kinda want to toss this out to the brainstorming populace.

So, can full thrust be successfully scaled up (ie small ships made big
and thus making the ship survive more than one hit from a B3)?

In the other games, important aspects are:
-- sensor acquisition of targets
-- electronic warfare
-- manned gunnery
-- evasive manouvers
-- operation of defensive weapons like sandcasters

Weapons tend to include:
- beam lasers
- pulse lasers
- particle accelerators
- fusion guns
- missiles (nuke and non-nuke)
- sandcasters
- black globes (force screens)
- nuclear dampers (only good against nuclear weapons, but boy are they
required for that)

Perhaps FT, using its D6 mechanics and relatively brittle ships just
doesn't have what it takes to be a good engine for a space RPG combat
extension.

Now, our conjectural Full Metal Thrust adapts the FMA engine to run on
top of FT feasible designs and systems. This seems like something with
the "right stuff" since it already includes a concept of user skills
(quality dice) in the equation.

Anyone have any insight on any of this? Anyone tried an FMA'd FT or
tried FT combat for an RPG group for ship fighting? Any real-world
results to report? :)

Tomb

Prev: Re: [OT]Episode II: I knew it! (Minor Spoiler) Next: Re: [FT] Scaling up for RPG play