Prev: RE: Re: MURPHY AT WAR Next: RE: Big Games

Re: MURPHY AT WAR

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 21 May 2002 10:12:34 -0400
Subject: Re: MURPHY AT WAR

> --- DAWGFACE47@webtv.net wrote:
>
> > curious to read what other ideas are floating about
> > OUT THERE. . . .

Based on a True story from personal experience:

"Special Use" elements of your peacekeeping forces are about to hit a
defended target for an extraction of a wanted leader of the opposing
forces when suddenly your secure, uber-encrypted radio net is cluttered
with short bursts of radio traffic that aren't following established
comms procedures.

The extraction goes all kinds of wrong as doubts about whether to
proceed and identifying the unauthorized persons on your radio net throw
off timing, movements and co-ordination of the elite teams.

This happened in Haiti.  When the SPECFOR guys called for us to identify
ourselves, and explain how we were on their "secure" net we explained
"We are US soldiers operating privately purchased walkie-talkies for
vehicle-to-vehicle communication.  Our current location is in the Cap
Hatien airport."  They discussed calling off the Op, concerned that
"Friendlies" might be on the target.  One guy came on the net asking
where we bought the walkie-talkies and we told 'em... Radio Shack.

I wonder what Radio Shack knew that the Russians had wished they knew!

--Flak
--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: RE: Re: MURPHY AT WAR Next: RE: Big Games