Prev: Re: [OT] Who plays Harpoon, was Re: Fighters Next: Re: Re: [FT] a "true Fisher Battlecruiser" for the NAC, wasBattlecruisers vs. battleships

Re: German lesson II: Kravak

From: Henrix <henrix@b...>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:55:31 +0200
Subject: Re: German lesson II: Kravak

At 07:54 2002-05-17 +0200, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
>Just for info: the proper way to handle the Umlaut if you can't print
the
>dots at the top is to add an 'e' after the vowel. Thus, Käfer becomes
>Kaefer. The same thing for ö and ü -> oe and ue.

And substitute å (a with one big dot) -> aa  ;-)

In swedish we do not even have a name for the little dots above, they
are
just other vocals, as different from a or o as i or e.

>How come the 2300 author based their stuff on German ?

They didn't base all names on German, but tried to use other languages
than
English, which is a rather nice idea.
Some of the first contacts with käfer were with German speakers.

(Though why they translate what the käfer calls humans as
"Fleischwesen" in
an english text is beyond me!)

____