Prev: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships Next: Re: RE:(SG2) 25mm Bengal MBT pre-release pics

Re: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:42:41 -0700
Subject: Re: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

----- Original Message -----
From: <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 6:49 AM

> From: Eric Foley stiltman@teleport.com
> >it's kind of silly to build a ship of the wall sized vessel that
doesn't
dare
> > fight something its own size.

> <grin> Oh, I want my BCs to fight things their own size--merchants,
> troop ships, fleet tenders....

Yes, but I think that's just a _slight_ misstatement of what I was
saying,
no?  ;)

> >thrust-6 <snip> they're capable of striking a blow against ships
their
own
>> size just fine and are no less able to take a hit than the multi-role
>>plasma-and-fighters vessels that make up the backbone of the fleet
>> that deploys them.

> Er, Eric, it [l]ooks to me as if you're saying a Thrust 6 ship can go
toe-to-toe
> with a Thrust 2 ship?

Strictly speaking, not really.	I wouldn't define the tactics involved
as
toe-to-toe so much as hit-and-run.  They just have enough firepower
under
the right circumstances that if they can manage to pull off a
successful,
concentrated "hit" on a single target point, there won't be much left to
have to "run" from unless the enemy's prepared to both deal with it and
respond in kind.  If they are, a slower ship with more resilience that
can
indeed respond with enough firepower of their own will still chew them
up
something awful.

Prev: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships Next: Re: RE:(SG2) 25mm Bengal MBT pre-release pics