Prev: Re: [DS2] Questions Next: Re: [OT] Gaming at work ...(Long rant with a happy ending )

Re: German Hover Tank bumper sticker

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:26:08 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: German Hover Tank bumper sticker

Henrix schrieb:
> At 11:04 2002-05-15 -0700, Brian Bilderback wrote:
> When I first read about Kra'Vak they reminded me of the
> kafer

Never thought much about the Traveller term. I somehow associated it
with 'Kaffir', Arab for "Unbeliever" and 'Kaffer', Afrikaans for
"nigger", sometimes used in German, too.

> (or käfer*, as it should really be, it's german)

Somehow to me Käfer and Kafer are too far apart to associate easily -
matter of upbringing, really.

> the nasty aliens in [Traveller] 2300 AD.
> Käfer means crabs,

Beetles, actually, but close enough ;-)

> and so scaly things > Bugs!
>
> * If the umlauts work, of course.

It did (at least on my German-language system :-)

Greetings

Prev: Re: [DS2] Questions Next: Re: [OT] Gaming at work ...(Long rant with a happy ending )