Prev: RE: Re: [FT] back to fighters Next: RE: interceptors

RE: interceptors

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:32:35 -0400
Subject: RE: interceptors

At 9:50 AM -0600 5/13/02, B Lin wrote:
>Taking that a step further using a modern analogy:
>
>Some modern air-superiority fighters (like the F-14) use bigger,
>longer ranged missiles in the superiority role, but are still
>roughly the same speed as other fighters (Mach 2), so perhaps
>instead of increasing the move, you could increase the attack range
>to 12" vs. other fighters, which would simulate longer ranged
>beam/missiles that don't have enough to punch ship hull but enough
>to disable/destroy fighters.  This would allow interceptors to
>attack non-interceptors with a degree of safety, but they would
>still have to expend CEF for the extra moves and combat firing.

Depends on your generation. The initial expectation with AIM-54 is
that it was great. But in reality, it's pretty much traveling on
inertia alone on the longer side of it's flight path. That given, it
looses a lot of energy if it tries to hit a maneuvering target. A
Dumb Cruise missile or big slow Bear (perhaps a Backfire as well
given it's size) is going to be far easier to engage with an
AIM-54/F-14 pair than say an FB-111 would or a smaller Super Etendard
would. Especially given RWRs and their ilk.

Perhaps a walk over to sci.military.aviation would be in order.
There's a few ex-fighter pilot types over there that could account
for the engagement envelopes of the longer ranged AAMs.

My point is though that the bigger longer range stuff assumes the
target doesn't spend as much time maneuvering or doesn't have as much
of a capability to maneuver. Any system can reach out and touch a
fighter at extreme range (see Talos engaging Migs circling Hanoi from
ships 100 Miles away in the Tonkin Gulf) but that all assumes the
fighter doesn't know something is incoming. The longer the range, the
longer the fighter has time to react. Something small can generally
react.

I'm not saying I dislike the idea of Interceptors engaging at 12",
I'm just observing additional variables to account for.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: Re: [FT] back to fighters Next: RE: interceptors