Prev: RE: Blakes 7 Ship Stats Next: Re: [SG] ESU Spetznaz- now hurtling OT

Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:57:51 -0400
Subject: Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

In my eyes, if the ships had been used as designed then they'd not
have met such a dreadful end. They weren't supposed to engage big
heavy ships. They were supposed to run from them. They were meant to
act as anti-cruiser vessels. Its not unlike throwing cruisers into
the battle line and wondering why they don't work or using an armored
car regiment to act as a main line of resistance in a land battle.
Certain weapons must be used for their main function.

>Now, it _is_ true that I have been accused (probably deservedly) of
being a
>bit biased against high speed vessels.  And although I _do_ favor high
speed
>for certain specialized ships that are supposed to perform specific
>functions, it is also true that I don't generally think that speed much
>higher than 3 or 4 is going to be that productive on a ship of the wall
--
>my experience with such vessels in FT mirrors that of the real-life
British
>ships.

I think the task is warranted. Especially in the vastness of space.
Having something big that can run down something smaller can be a
good thing can it not?

Prev: RE: Blakes 7 Ship Stats Next: Re: [SG] ESU Spetznaz- now hurtling OT