Prev: Re: [FT] back to fighters Next: Re: [FT] 2 topics: Tournaments and back to fighters

Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz- now hurtling OT

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:42:46 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz- now hurtling OT

>Robin Paul schrieb:

Just FYI for the non-Brits, Alan is punning on "Marks and Spencer",
large
and popular Brit department store chain particularly known (at least in
the
past, but they're trying to change the image) for ladies' underwear of
the
practical rather than exotic variety.
"M&S big knickers, proof against 7.62mm AP at 500 metres....."

;-)

>> gonk
>
>"Gonk" ???
>Some alien species ?

A vile children's soft toy from the sixties (IIRC?) - think an
egg-shaped
body with a face on the front (no head), some odd "hair" sprouting from
the
top, with dangly, thin arms and legs.  Hideous.....
The only thing that brings this on-topic is that  I recall an old SF
novel
(by John Rankine*...?? Very unsure of this....) which had some
egg-shaped,
tracked cargo-handler droids referred to as "Gonks" by their operators,
obviously in reference to their shape.
[* a series of books, the only title from which that I can recall being
"Planetfall is a state of mind". Possibly intended for semi-juvenile
market
- I read them as a kid, from local library. Some interesting space
combat
stuff, IIRC; humans and a few aliens races (Scotians and Chrysaorans
stick
in my mind for some reason). Anyone else know what the hell I'm talking
about?]

Jon (GZG)