Prev: [SG] ESU Spentznaz Next: Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz

GPS

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 18:01:09 -0400
Subject: GPS

I would think by 2183, based on some current
satellite sizes, a GPS constellation which would
offer decent coverage to most of the planet for
a period of months to a year could be
deployed using semi-disposable satellites that
are about the size of a small desk with their
antennae arrays folded (or motorcycle). You'd
probably need between 24 and 70 of them. I'd
expect a ship with an experienced crew and
shuttles to lay these could have these up and
running within 2-7 days. This requires localized
space superiority to do practically. Because you
can also use the tactic of deploying 700 even
smaller satellites and therefore can stand losing
a fair number before service is significantly
degraded (this is something that has been
considered in several areas of satellite service),
it is possible to construct (in theory) a cheap
network with high redudancy.

If a major invasion was planned, as soon as
effective local space supremacy was achieved a
modified freighter (fleet auxilliary) would deploy
multiple cargo shuttles each carrying 5 ot 6 of
these sattelites and I'd imagine they could be
placed fairly rapidly (say 1 every 4-6 hours).
With the smaller satellites, you'd deploy more of
them faster as you don't need to move as far
between deployments. With good auto-
deployment systems, this should also be a fast
process.

Now, GPS will only tell you where on the globe
you are. To add all the terrain mapping, etc
may require some larger satellites to be in
place, but I'd assume most Core, Inner and
even significant outer colonies would be surface
mapped to 1m or less accuracy. I'd assume
smaller outer colonies, outposts and whatnot
would often have only the mapping done by
survey ships and extra information about the
landing/settlement sites, so their would be
more work to be done if one wanted to use
terrain data in outlying areas (giving the locals
a region to retreat to that the enemy wouldn't
have good data about).

But, that's all IMU. :)

T.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: [SG] ESU Spentznaz Next: Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz