Prev: Re: Kitbashing a BDN Next: Re: Kitbashing a BDN

Re: [FT] back to fighters

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 18:48:47 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] back to fighters

Imre A. Szabo schrieb:
> The accepted, but un-official, scale is 1 MU =
> 10,000 km's and 1 turn = 10 minutes.

Wasn't that 1.000 Km, doesn't matter, it's still big.

> You can shove alot of fighters through that space in 5
> minutes at that velocity...

Under the PSB/romantic image model explained by Jon, the fighter
weapons have a fairly short range (comparable to present-day cannon),
say a few hundred meters, perhaps a kilometer, that's not that big a
volume.

The 5 minutes time-span is not really relevant. The wave attack
suggestion allows any number of fighter attacks in one turn, but the
PDS can reload / re-
aim between waves. Any respectable point-defence system should be able
to hit several targets within a 5 minute time-span.

> In Desert Storm, the U.S. used co-ordinated air attacks to prevent
just this > from happening.  Why would fighter attacks in the future be
more primitive
> then they are today?

3 squadrons of FT fighters are 18 fighters. I can't remember reading
Desert Storm reports of more than 2 or 3 individual fighters attacking
a target simultaneously, with perhaps their wing men following
split-seconds later.
Does anybody know better ?

Greetings

Prev: Re: Kitbashing a BDN Next: Re: Kitbashing a BDN