Prev: GMS with GPS on planets with no GPS Next: RE: [SG] Squidly things

RE: [FT] back to fighters

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 14:14:58 +1000
Subject: RE: [FT] back to fighters

G'day,

> While I don't like the idea that only a limited number of fighters
> can attack in a game turn (poor PSB), the suggested variant that
> fighters must attack ships in waves of 6 (?) squadrons is quite
attractive.
> PDS wouldn't be able to shoot at more than one squadron per wave, but
> could shoot again at the next wave. Any number of waves can attack in
turn.
> PSB would be that it's hard to coordinate large numbers of
> fighters and that the PDS would have time to reload/reacquire
> targets between the incoming waves.

Sorry if someone else has already made this comment (haven't had a
chance to
really keep up with this thread), but limiting it to waves of 6 isn't
really
going to help I would've thought. May be we're just not very good
players/designers down here, but a stack of 6 fighters is usually a
pretty
good way of dispatching/crippling ships down here (especially if you're
aiming at taking out the supporting cruisers first). In addition, even
with
multiple waves you're dropping the total number of fighters going in by
between about 1 and 4 fighters per 6 groups coming in (so with morale in
play too you may see an extra group or two pull out, but not exactly a
major
deterrence). I wouldn't have thought that was enough of a change to
bother
doing it (especially if you have to justify it against all the "space is
big, VERY big" problems people like me are going to see with the
argument).

Cheers

Prev: GMS with GPS on planets with no GPS Next: RE: [SG] Squidly things