Prev: Re: [SG] GMS variants (NO ITS NOT MORE VACC-HEAD STUFF) Next: Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

Re: GMS

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:18:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: GMS

--- Tomb <tomb@dreammechanics.com> wrote:

> 1) Can optics be set in all frequencies at once,
> from IR through visible
> and out into UV? Dunno. If so, you're right. I

You could assume that while Snuffy is looking around
in a certain narrow part of the spectrum, his helmet
is scanning and certain narrowly defined parameters
(ie: any precisely straight line of more than X
length) will cause it to warn him.

> One question:
> Anyone (OO?) know how good/accurate a modern warner
> system is on AFVs?
> Does it give you range/bearing and automatically
> undertake defense
> measures? If so, what are the range/nature of

It gives you bearing, but range is difficult to
analyze from a point reading.  You'd have to make
assumptions about signal strength and that's sketchy.

> [Tomb] Here's my thought: If I try to get fancy and
> land on your back
> deck, and you are moving, I have less margin for
> error than if I try to
> land on the turret top or vehicle center. Similarly,
> if I fire a missile
> at you from the front and want it to go around the
> side or back... well,
> that might degrade accuracy. Maybe not?

Tanks move at maybe 30mph, missles at several hundred
meters per second.  In the last second or two of
flight (when a pop-up attack would be executed) it
won't move enough to really matter.

John

Prev: Re: [SG] GMS variants (NO ITS NOT MORE VACC-HEAD STUFF) Next: Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)