Prev: GMS Next: WMDs

[FT] 2 topics: Tournaments and back to fighters

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:10:21 -0700
Subject: [FT] 2 topics: Tournaments and back to fighters

I wrote:

>>--- Brian Bilderback <bbilderback@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Actually Binhan wrote that part.

*SNIP*

>>I don't really play many
>>tournaments because I really don't like them in
>>general.
>
>Same here, which is the reason for my above comment.

In his reply to my post, Binhan pointed out the shortcomings of my
one-shot
fighter idea in tournaments.  While I see his point, I wonder if perhaps

it's more of a shortcoming in tournament formats that just happens to be

most nastily exploited by mass fighters.  It's been called "Paper Rock
Scissors" by some on the list.	If I bring a fleet designed to take on
the
greatest range of threats possible, someone who WAY overstacks in one
area
has a good chance of thumping me.  If I bring a fleet designed
specifically
to counter that stacked threat, a good all-around fleet should hand me
my
keister  (And fighters do seem to be the most extreme example of this
syndrome).  I wonder if maybe specific rules for tournament play, as
opposed
to generic rules that work in campaigns or one-offs, might be a useful
set
of optional rules.

Back to fighters.  I really do agree that Mr. Barclay has (not
surprisingly)
come up with the most brilliant idea of all:  Offer a list of the most
popular and preactical optional rules for fighters and anti-fighter
defenses, and allow people to add them to their own play in layers to
best
create the kind of fighter combat they want their background to have.
The
ideas for altering CFE, PDS/ADFC capability, and my one-shot rule could
be
among those offered.

As for the PDS rule, has anyone thought about the suggestion I made
earlier
today?	Instead of allowing PDS multiple attacks per turn, alter WHAT
they
can attack.  I don't know how different from the suggestion to give
range to
PDS it really is.  The tiered idea I had was:

A) Beam 1's can only fire on fighters directly attacking theie ship.
B) PDS May fire on attacking fighters OR any fighter passing within a
given
range of said ship (somewhere in the 3-6" range).
C) ADFC May fire as per normal rules, since the PDS linked to the ADFC
would
fall under subrule B.
D Scatterguns?	You got me, I haven't played the KV yet.

3B^2

Prev: GMS Next: WMDs