Prev: Re: [SG] GMS variants (NO ITS NOT MORE VACC-HEAD STUFF) Next: RE: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters

RE:

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 09:53:45 -0600
Subject: RE:

A couple of points - I listed one example since you asked how many big
guns vs. fighters lost, I did not make it the "only" possible example
and I made it as clean as possible (one or two large ships) so that an
effective comparison could be made.  The point of the example was to
show the idea of how to cripple a fleet with an equal number of points
of fighters.

Your counter-example was a perfect example of what people dislike about
fighters - unless you build completely anti-fighter, you will get
reamed.  The 2000 point fleet you described, if taken to a tournament
would have it's head handed to it by beam or torp heavy fleets. Whereas,
the 2000 point fighter fleet is going to kill anything but a totally
anti-fighter fleet.  In a single elimination tournament, you can guess
which would probably advance further.

In your description, you note that best case, for the fighters, only 6
groups would be taken down by ADFC,PDS and Beam 1. You forget to include
the fact that PDS and beam 1 can only attack fighters attacking that
ship. This means your 2-3 ADFC might take out 1 group, not 6.	The only
real threats to my fighters are the ADFC and the interceptors.	Assuming
that only 18 squadron made it through, 6 squadrons will cripple the CVE
and 6 for each of the light cruisers (about 21 points of damage on
each).	The escorts are impotent unless they are all equipped with ADFC.

Assuming your idea of a single anti-ship attack, I would send the
fighters back and call it a victory based on NPV.  Loss of 18 fighter
squadons - 216 NPV (mostly from interceptors)

Loss of one CVE, two light cruisers - 600 NPV plus interceptor losses.

Note that the interceptors caused most of the casualties, not the PDS.
Which means most fleets will be forced to have a carrier with
interceptors of some sort.  This is a big minus in tournament games
since interceptors have no anti-ship capability and are wasted if the
opponent has no fighters.  The point here is that it takes fighters
(interceptors) to defeat fighters, not ADFC/PDS/Beam 1.  The one of the
points that people are making is that they want a viable SHIP defense
against fighters, and not have to be forced to mount large fighter
forces every time they play.

--Binhan