Prev: RE: Fighters options please Next: RE: [FT] Single-shot Fighter combat

Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 17:12:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/webgames/guns1/index.htm

> Er... not to put too fine a point on it, I wouldn't
> use that custom job to
> transport prisoners of war, much less fight a
> battle.
------
Then you should put the battle in perspective,
the 'Trial by Combat' is a commerce raider vs
a ESU SDN with an additional type 4 beam in place of
the hanger bay/fighters.   If the TbC was used in its
proper operational venue, it would play merry he**
with the defender!

> "Trial By Combat" makes
> the two biggest of those errors even worse than
> _any_ of the FB1 ships do --
> it has no appreciable fighter defense at all, and it
> devotes a staggering -80%- (!) of its mass to
>non-weapons systems.  As a result, even at its
>_favored_ range and arcs, it's still only
> bringing 3 pulse torpedoes and 18 dice of beams,
> which is _catastrophically_weak for a ship that
> size.>
> Not too shockingly, it lost the battle.  Go figure.
-------
I think you better look at the results again, the ESU
SDN did not look as if it had been fighting a
'catastrophically_weak'... ship.
The most important points in the game was the loss
of half thrust and all but one of the FCS at the
FIRST check, and the fact that the captains ISP
ceased operation without notice during the game.
Check closely, the ESU was in the process of
using the only useful tactic left to him, the
gun turret in space scenario, and trying to guess
the right way to point.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: RE: Fighters options please Next: RE: [FT] Single-shot Fighter combat