Prev: RE: Fighters options please Next: Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

Re: [OT] Explosives question

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 08:53:48 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Explosives question

Quoting Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>:

> At 2:28 PM -0400 5/8/02, Roger Books wrote:
> >I'm not sure about shipboard timing, but the naval base in Norfolk
> >ceased to have Marine gate guards after a Marine shot and killed
> >a sailor while on gate guard duty.  The sailor grabbed a pistol from
> >one of the two Marines, ran 15 or so feet, and turned, pistol still
> >in hand.  The other Marine shot and killed him.
>
> Umm. This sounds like a justification for keeping Marines on guard
> duty. If you grabbed a pistol from a cop, ran 15 feet and turned
> while holding the pistol most cops I know would fire too. As a person
> who carries a gun normally, I'd do the same thing...
>

> >I still don't know why a Marine properly doing his job had them
> >removed from base security, but then I often don't understand
> >politics.
>
> Stupud liberal politics? (not that all liberal politics are stupid,
> this one appears to be so...)

It's not liberal politics, it's normal regular politics.

Something bad happened, something must be broken. Therefore something
must be
changed (not necessarily the broken thing). Therefore something is
changed so
someone looks like they reacted.

It doesn't matter that the bad thing having happened was the result of a

correct procedure or not, or whether the change improves or degrades the

procedure... it's the having done /something/ that's the important
thing. Now
the next time something goes wrong, that someone gets to at least plead
that
they tried to fix it - if they'd done nothing, they'd be open to the
accusation
of ignoring lessons...

It's like ministers laying down their careers for their prime minister.
No-one
sane actually expects that, for example, a department will suddenly NOT
do
stupid things when they change the minister, but there's always the
defence
then that "things were changed".

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions

Prev: RE: Fighters options please Next: Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)