Prev: RE: Re: Fighters Next: RE: Re: [OT] Explosives question

Re: Fighters

From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@a...>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 15:36:01 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters

I've only played Full Thrust a dozen times or so, and even then
usually without fighters just because they seemed kind of messy.

However, I do see both sides of this argument.	What about an expansion
on
the idea of the burning endurance for each turn on the battlefield:  the
fighters can opt not to burn endurance every turn, but if they don't
they
can be targetted by weapons other than PDS.  My rationale is that the
reason beams and other non-PDS can't attack fighters isn't because of
their size but because they're using evasive manuevering.  A corvette
isn't that much bigger than an individual fighter (okay, at a minimum 6
times as large) but doesn't get any bonus for being smaller than an SDN
by
a factor of 40 or so, so size isn't the reason you can't attack
fighters.

But if it costs endurance to maintain that evasive manuevering, then
that mass of fighters dumped from a carrier on the other side of the
table
will spend a decent chunk of endurance just getting to the fight.  Or
they
can risk long range fire from beams (maybe other weapons? haven't
thought
that through at all) and take some damage on the way in, so that they
can
linger in the battle a little longer.

I really don't know if that will help the balance issue or not, but I
thought it was an interesting idea.  It adds another opportunity for
some tactics, which is usually good.

Just an idea.  Don't hurt me.

Randy Wolfmeyer