Prev: Re: FTJava - Computer moderated Full Thrust PBeM server and client Next: Re: FB designs & fighters

Re: FB designs & fighters

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 12:54:34 -0700
Subject: Re: FB designs & fighters

Allan Goodall wrote:

>A fighter's usefulness increases in a non-linear fashion. Twenty
>squadrons
>are more effective point-for-point than the cost of one squadron
multiplied
>by 20.

If that's the case, then merely increasing the cost of fighters is NOT
the
correct solution.  If you do that, their cost is still linear, it's just
line higher up on the graph.  This actually does two things:  Make small

numbers of fighters even LESS usefull, and guarantee that there is STILL
point, albeit higher up the line, where fighters still outweigh their
points.

I'm starting to see both sides of the arguments.  I definitely see huge
swarms of fighters devouring ships with impunity as cheese.  I also see
how
any adjustment to avoid this runs the risk of rendering SMALL groups of
fighters useless.  Both would definitely fit nicely into the Sucks
category.
  The trick for those in power will be to guarantee that well-designed
fleets and ships can wield reasonable amounts of fighters and still be
able
to do significant damage with them before the fighters die, but NOT be
able
to compleetely overwhelm the game simply by ewmploying ridiculous
numbers of
fighters.

Kind of a double edged sword, it seems.

3B^2

Prev: Re: FTJava - Computer moderated Full Thrust PBeM server and client Next: Re: FB designs & fighters