Prev: FTJava - Computer moderated Full Thrust PBeM server and client Next: RE: [FT]Weapons vs. other stuff

RE: [OT] Explosives question

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 19:46:18 +1000
Subject: RE: [OT] Explosives question

G'day,

Ryan wrote:
> It sounds like they are looking for someone trying to sneak
> explosives into a base. Are they not checking the underside with
> mirrors on sticks?

Yep, about 4 guys all at once.

> Sadly all that security is mostly window dressing.

Its enough window dressing to slow my entrance and exit from work site
by a
good 5 minutes... I think there were a good many scientists in Tassie in
the
last couple of days willing to track old Osama down themselves just so
we
could go back to being absent minded in peace ;)

John A asked:
> Are you sure?  Every time I've pulled guard on a
> vehicle gate here at Ft. Hood the standard procedure
> included running a mirror on a pole under the vehicle,
> with an emphasis on the wheel wells.

First day I thought I might have missed it so I made sure I paid
attention
on subsequent occasions.

> Of course, it doesn't help...Not your
> average tourist or native profile.

Hearing "boom boxes" (or whatever they're called over there) blaring
Latino
music at a level even my deaf ear find loud is a bit of a give away
too...
that and the fact Tasmania is about 50 years behind in most fashions (OK
exaggeration, but you know what I mean) so the young sailors in flash
sneakers, baggy trousers with underwear showing etc do look a little odd
in
context ;)

> Plus we're drunk way before it's reasonable

Well they're actually getting less drunk, plus heading out of Hobart
into
surrounds more quickly this time. Not sure if that's a directive on
their
part or they've been here enough times now to know their way around ;)

Katie asked (rhetorically, but when has that ever stopped me...)
> how many of the marines prodded bits of the bus with
> bayonets to see if they feel like putty?

Some total of none... mind you I didn't see any bayonets ;)

Roger noted:
>"PERTH prostitutes were reeling from exhaustion following an influx of
>United States sailors stressed from a stint in a war zone, a
>well-known madam said today." (2 May)

They fly extra in from Melbourne to cover that problem.... being on a
flight
out of Hobart at the time a US ship is leaving can be an interesting
experience ;)

Thanks

Beth

Prev: FTJava - Computer moderated Full Thrust PBeM server and client Next: RE: [FT]Weapons vs. other stuff