Prev: RE: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters Next: Re: RAID!

Suggested Solution To Fighters

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 18:19:59 -0700
Subject: Suggested Solution To Fighters

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@att.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: Fighters

> I'm beginning to think this problem can't be solved. Changing the PDS
rules
> might make the fleet book ships viable against custom designs with
lots of
> fighters, but would it also kill fighters totally in custom designed
battles?
> This would move things from, "Lots of fighters are the only way to go
in
> custom games," to "Don't waste any money buying a fighter in a custom
game".

> The proper solution may be a campaign system...

Well... let me throw this one out and see what people think:  what if
you
simply prohibited a carrier platform from being permitted to carry more
than
35-40% or so of its total mass in fighter bays?  Insert whatever PSB you
want about the power drains and hull integrity issues of charging the
power
coils of large numbers of small craft and then withstanding the strain
of
kicking them out into space in numbers.

Then the soap bubble design simply wouldn't be possible (the classic
soap
bubble design has 75% of its mass invested in its fighter bay).  You
wouldn't be making fighters utterly useless, but you wouldn't be
_permitting_ them to get downright obscene in their numbers any more.
Even
I wouldn't protest something like this.

(aka Stilt Man)

Prev: RE: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters Next: Re: RAID!