Prev: Re: [OT] Explosives question Next: RE: Fighters

Re: Fighters

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 19:45:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighters

At 7:38 PM -0400 5/7/02, <kaime@mindspring.com> wrote:

*Big wave to Aimee!*

>I've seen several battles with Soap Bubble Carriers that have their
fighters
>launch and then race over the other side of the table long before any
>defending ship could move within striking range of the Soap Bubble
Carriers
>hugging the edges of the table.  I have seen something like 4-5 Soap
Bubble
>Carriers launch 18+ fighter groups.  Hard to defend against that!
Clearly
>this isn't fun for everyone, nor does it simulate anything from my
sci-fi
>reading or viewing.  Fighters and their roles in history may or may not
be
>good examples of FT fighters.	I would suggest most people look to
sci-fi
>and sci-fi shows far more to define these roles.

The randomized ship entry rules would fix that. I'd like the ability
to hold a third of my task force in reserve and have it enter a
random side or chosen side X turns from now. That would make those
soap bubbles think twice about hugging the table edge.

>Now I know scenerios and campaigns can make things like this Soap
Bubble
>Carrier few and far between, but some people do want to just play a
quick
>game of starship combat and just push some lead across the table.
Also,
>what some people think is 'pushing' the spirit or letter of the rules
seems
>fine to another.  My personal opinion however is massive waves of
fighter
>can rule and ruin FT games.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but
something
>to fix the problem woutld help I think.  Command and Control aspect on
>carriers for each group of fighter out in the battlefiled taking
points,
>systems, and mass from the carriers perhaps.

Massive waves of anything can suck.

Prev: Re: [OT] Explosives question Next: RE: Fighters