Prev: Re: Fighters Next: Re: FB designs & fighters

RE: Re: Fighters

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:48:39 -0400
Subject: RE: Re: Fighters

>Now, here's a problem. If you change PDS so that it can take attack all
fighter squadrons against it, are you swinging the game too far the
other way?
>20 PDS, for instance, costs 60 points and 20 mass. If 20 fighter
squadrons
attack, that's 20 times 20 attacks by the PDS. Bye bye fighters.
Wouldn't
custom designed ships just pack on a whole bunch of PDS this way and
defeat
fighters totally, just as lots of fighters defeat any ship totally?

a) you can reduce the efficacy of PDS vs any single fighter (which will
help make small quantities of fighters *more* useful, which they
presently aren't)
b) Assuming you fiddle with ADFC some, *every* ship will need to have
masses of PDS to be invulnerable.  If you put 20 mass of PDS on a DD or
CL, you're not going to have room for much else.
c) And even for big ships, 20 PDS is moving 20 mass from offense to
defense.  Maybe you can get away with 15.  Or 12.  If we only put 8 on,
we'll take some hits but it won't kill us and we'll get a couple extra
B3's.... you'll have to make some choices.

Prev: Re: Fighters Next: Re: FB designs & fighters