Prev: Re: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters Next: RE: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters

Re: Fighters/DLD/Welcome Back

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 09:53:37 -0700
Subject: Re: Fighters/DLD/Welcome Back

>From: "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>

>Some of the proponents of not changing
>the balance seem to be from the "don't play one-off games" or "don't
>play very much" etc. group.

Guilty as charged.  Please note that I am not entirely opposed to
changing
the fighter rule.  I'm merely opposed to changing them simply to favor a
set
of premade FB1 designs.  If it can be proven that they're broken in
general,
then by all means change away.	But prove it to me first.

>And I'll conclude by offering this one thought: If you're already
>playing with custom designs and house rules and mixed-tech and campaign
>rules, then you are already far beyond current state-of-rules. So any
>changes should worry you very little, given you'll take what you like,
>change what you don't, and make up anything you think you need to fill
>in the blankss.

This is true, as far as it goes.  My concern is that the more extraneous

rules get added to fit the TV setting, the more adjusting has to be
done,
and the less practical it becomes to apply the system to other settings.

A lot of new gamers (and some more experienced ones with
>time constraints) want a low complexity game with no campaign, with
>standard designs, and out-of-the-book rules. Considering this crowd is
>likely to represent any growth in the game and a fair amount of new
>sales, would it be a bad thing to consider them?

And for those people, standard designs vs. standard design games
shouldn't
be creating the problems that massed fighters create, should they?  So
why
create a rule that corrects a problem they shouldn't be encountering to
begin with?

After all, experienced
>veterans will ignore what they don't like (some people still play FT
>rather than FTFB after all).

Which is more practical  -- to leave things as is/make minor
adjustments,
and let the vets who want less powerful fighters employ their own HR's
limit them, or go to the trouble of changing the rules to make fighters
more
friendly to FB1 designs, and let vets ignore them?  It's 6 of one 1/2
dozen
of the other from player POV, but from design POV, it seems that option
2's
more of a hassle.

3B^2

Prev: Re: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters Next: RE: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters