Prev: DLD's latest conniving plan.... Next: Re: FB designs & fighters

Re: [FT] Fighters

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 02:12:22 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Fighters

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 11:56 PM

[SMTP:yh728@victoria.tc.ca]
> wrote:
> > Either double the price, or redo the fighter weapon systems as PDS -
kill
> > 1 fighter on a 4,5; 2 on 6; do one point of damage to a ship on a 6.
Let
> > interceptors kill 1 fighter w/ 4; 2 on 5,6; no damage possible to
ships.
> > Leave the torp fighters as is - they're balanced. This has the
advantage
> > of making the fighter & anti-fighter weapons use the same mechanic.
(KISS
> > principle)

> Fighter dogfights already work like this.
> Torp/Attack: 6 = 1 kill + reroll.
> Standard fighters / PDS: 4-5= 1 kill, 6 = 2 kills + reroll.
> Interceptors: 3-4 = 1 kill, 5 = 2 kills, 6 = 2 kills + reroll.

> If you haven't been using this mechanic, then no wonder you think
fighters
> are overpowered.

No, that's not it.  He's going much farther than that.	He's proposing
take away standard fighters' ability to attack ships by only allowing
them
to do any damage at all on a roll of 6, and only one point on that.
He's
suggesting this as an alternative to doubling their price.

That's not to say that I think his suggestion has any merit
whatsoever...
much like the proverbial suggestion to throw out the baby with the
bathwater.  If someone wants to do a few optional rules, well, okay, but
neutering fighters altogether shouldn't be taken as a serious option.

Prev: DLD's latest conniving plan.... Next: Re: FB designs & fighters