Prev: Re: FB designs & fighters Next: Re: Almost time for Salute

Re: Super AD-PDS was RE: Another tack on fighters

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:13:38 +0100
Subject: Re: Super AD-PDS was RE: Another tack on fighters

In message
<F4783C94B5D9F1479D984ABC31C2643502FC71@rxgen2s1.rxkinetix.com>
	  "B Lin" <lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:

> Since in real life there is an evolution of weaponry and defenses to
counter new threats, then perhaps there should be a new weapon system to
counter the effects of fighters.

> Idea #1: Super ADAF/PDS
> Mass 6, can attack any single fighter group within 6" of the carrying
ship, kills 1-6 fighters.

> Idea #2: Anti-fighter SM's
> Mass 1 (Mass 2 for single shot packs), fired from Launchers or packs,
each AF-SM has a range of 12" kills 1-6 fighters.

Has been done - check out the Weapons and Defences Archive:
http://homepage.mac.com/nizenberg/Weap-Def_Archive.htm
look in Defences:Interception, under AFHAWKS (by BIF) - very like what
you propose.

> Idea #3: Mines/passive deterrent field
> Mass 1 per 1x6 unit field - a field of mines or ball bearings that are
dropped behind the moving ship.  Larger ships have enough hull and armor
to ignore, but fighters flying through take 1-6 casualties.

Hmm.. I don't think anyone has suggested anti-fighter mines before..
A related system to what you propose is the Kra'Vak Fragment Cloud
Dispenser (by me :-) - although I don't think I ever specified what it
did to fighters :-(

> Idea #4: Thermo-nuclear Point Defense
> Mass 1, basically dumping a large fusion bomb out the hatch and
detonating it, does 2d6 damage to the ship and 1d6 to every target
within 6". (The ultimate Q-ship weapon against fighters)

Hmm... a sort of short range version of the 'antimatter salvo missile'
discussed as WotW #1, also in the archive. Of course, that didn't do
double damage to the launching ship!

> Idea #5: "Death-Blossom" Ultra PDS
> Mass 1 per die, single shot expendable system, only one per ship.
Kills 1 die of fighters per mass, max range 6". Massed arrays of short
range missiles and single shot lasers that fire in all directions.

Hmm... very like a KV scattergun variant.

I hate to think how much a Death Blossom fighter would cost :-)
[c.f. The Last Starfighter]

> Some ideas...
>
> --Binhan

[snip]

Well, you did neglect to include the points cost (probably about 3 per
MASS) for these.

Charles

Prev: Re: FB designs & fighters Next: Re: Almost time for Salute