Prev: Re: [25mm] Looking for .50 cal and M60 machine guns Next: Re: [OT] Trek once more

Another tack on fighters

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 02:44:28 -0400
Subject: Another tack on fighters

I don't agree with Mr. Foley on all his points.
Perhaps the thing to keep in mind here is this:
The models we mostly buy are FB ships. The
ships used in most games (esp tournament or
convention) are FB ships. So if fighters
operating within the FB1 universe are
overpowering (which they actually are), then the
FB1 ships would not have evolved. Taking from
the ex cathedra presentation of the FB, we then
work backwards and say "how could this have
come to be? why do ships only have 2-3 PDS?
why isn't everyone using carriers galore? or
SMR ships?" Obviously one approach is to toss
out FB1 designs, but that isn't realistic for most
people/situations. So the attempt is to try to
find a band-aid for the problem.

One interesting idea not yet discussed is the
idea that fighter weapons are perhaps not as
effective against all targets. A big slow SDN is
an easy target perhaps, but a small high thrust
scoutship might be quite a task to hit. Perhaps
the issue may be addressed by changing the
attack resolution for fighters so that the
number of hits scored had some relation to
mass or thrust or both, thus large slow targets
could meet them less effectively (but they have
armour, more PDS, and escorts) and smaller
ships would not get gnawed up so fast.

Also, letting ships engage fighters that are NOT
attacking is one way to help prevent fighter
swarms from forming in the middle or rear of
your formation.....

And lastly, another thought (why I don't like the
fighter group limitation): If we're dealing with
100 or 1000km measuring units, then fighters
can attack from 600 or 6000km. Just put that
in a sphere and imagine how many fighters
could attack.... the number would be pretty
damn large. Yes, we can PSB this inconvenient
basic physical fact away with some handwaving,
but it isn't really that satisfying (or so says I).

And one last thought - 25 PDS wouldn't even
have slowed down the fighter swarms that
came after my three Komarov mods in the
CanAm a year and a half ago. Would have
helped, but wouldn't have got the job done.
And any escort in this game smaller than a CL is
pretty much mincemeat after (at most) one
round of ADFC duty.

So much of how FT plays depends on which
weapons you use, which rules, etc. You can
build an SDN with 18-25 PDS, but a swarm of
SMR corvettes will really ruin your day anyway.
And an enemy SDN built with no PDS will equally
ruin your day. Why? Because any situation
where such insane matchups could occur makes
no accounting for evolutionary design, fleet
intelligence, etc - you don't generally have no
idea what your foe is bringing to battle. In fact,
you generally have some decent idea of the
capabilities/designs of most of his classes. You
might not know which ships will arrive (although
you might have a good guess), but you
probably know most of the types of ships that
could show up reasonably and how many. But
in a lot of one off games, it is an oddball
version of paper-scissors-nuclear device.

Tomb
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [25mm] Looking for .50 cal and M60 machine guns Next: Re: [OT] Trek once more