Prev: RE: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: Re: WALKERS

RE: DS2 Answers from Beth

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 17:41:05 +1000
Subject: RE: DS2 Answers from Beth

G'day Tom,

> [Tomb] True, but I think having a pile of
> APSWs to meet the attack with and heavy
> armour gives you a lot better chance of
> surviving than line infantry, so standing
> should be easier (I'd think).

I'll take your word on that ;)

> [Tomb] Good point. I'm gonna have a real
> good rethink about both these morale tests
> and see if I can come up with some
> compact/sane values to use for test levels
> that actually reflect the situations.

Cool.

> [Tomb] Well, except that the defender has
> to make a confidence test to stand, and
> IIRC these are made per UNIT not per
> ELEMENT. So attacking one tank (which is
> effectively what happened) can drive them
> all off the objective....

True, but I guess I still would've played it that only the single tank
got
shoved and would move back as far as possible without breaking the unit
cohesion thing... but that is just what I'd do, what you're supposed to
do
maybe vastly different ;)

> [Tomb] Yes. By an artifact of unit numbers
> one side was able to have an unactivated
> unit in front of a woodsline waiting for the
> enemy to show his head. Now, he knew the
> enemy was there, the enemy knew he was
> there. In real life, he'd drive to the edge
> and acquire targets and fire while they
> would acquire him as he appeared and fire -
>  kind of a shootout. But in the game, all fire
> from the sitting unit (opportunity fire)
> would occur before any from the moving
> unit. That's what bugged me.

I guess we just took it on blind faith (or a really annoying occasion
hasn't
come up), though we have had some one opportunity firing on an
opportunity
firer ;)

> [Tomb] Okay, is this how it is commonly
> done by DS2ers? (Or is there some errata
> that clears up how this is meant to work?)

There is a DS FAQ, I think on Bri's or Andy's site (??), though I'm not
sure
it addresses this question.

> [Tomb] My infantry never saw combat.
> They debarked about 20" out from the
> objective, their APCs ended up getting
> vaporized, and the only things that got to
> CA were the PA because a double PA move
> + 2" is 14" and a double infantry move + 2"
> is only 6" which is a huge difference. So my
> 7 stands never saw combat (neither did his
> conventional stands) and only the PA
> moved/assaulted (it is hard to kill, moves
> fast, and forces huge penalties on those it
> CAs).

OK then you won't see as much difference then ;)

Prev: RE: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: Re: WALKERS