Prev: DS2: Battle of Bloody Bridge Next: Re: [OT] Airbrushes

RE: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:57:16 -0600
Subject: RE: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

Some ideas:

You can sort of balance this by varying the starting distance of the
fleets.  Before the game, each side decides on their starting velocity.
They then compare the sensor/ECM numbers to determine a modifier.  The
higher side gets to add or subtract the difference from the range in
turns and is considered the "attacker".  Then both sides roll 2d6,
subtract the lower number from the higher, add or subtract the
attacker's modifer and the difference is the range in turns at the
attackers starting velocity (minimum range of 36 units).  This would
give reason to beef up sensors, ECM and allow for the possibility that
your carriers might be engaged before being able to launch fighters.

Some assumptions: If the attacker chooses a high velocity, it is more
likely to picked up further away, so if you choose to have a high
starting velocity to defeat fighters, the more likely the opposing fleet
is going to pick you up at a distance and have time to launch fighters.
Conversely if you pick a slower velocity, the fighters will have enough
speed to engage you, but you might catch them in their launch bays.

Really one should play with all aspects of the game - sensors, ECM,
supply and logistics, strategic replacement and such to truly balance
the game.  As is often the case, small, limited-use battles will
highlight a tactical advantage of a particular tactic or system that may
or may not be viable in the larger scheme of things.

For instance, if you look at the B-2 bomber, it's a remarkable piece of
equuipment and highly capable of penetrating into enemy airspace and
delivering a payload.  If you only gamed the section where the B-2 drops
it's PGM, it's practically unbeatable.	When you look at the overall
picture of procurement cost, vulnerability to the elements and basing
requirements, it's not such a good buy.  You have to be wary of people
who insist on constantly including certain systems and excluding others,
they may have an ulterior motive in removing the best defense against
their chosen weapon system.

--Binhan