Prev: RE: Re: FMA Muppets Next: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

RE: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:16:21 -0600
Subject: RE: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

Actually you do gain thickness from a horizontal shot:

	: :
======> : :
	: :

vs.
	/ /
=====> / /
      / /

The more the slope, the the greater the apparent increase. Think of an
extreme case where the plate is 60 or 80 degrees from vertical, the
horizontal hit is then spread over a large, oval shaped area rather than
a nice small round area and since it had to have enough energy to
penetrate over the entire area, it takes a whole lot more energy.
APFSDS tries to negate this by having a really pointy missile to
concentrate the force.	Sloping also has the additional benefit of
increasing the chance of deflection - if the incoming shot is a little
wobbly or off horizontal, it might just glance off.

The down-side is that shots from a higher elevation will partially or
totally negate the slope of your armor so it's not a totally free
advantage.

--Binhan