Prev: RE: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: RE: [DSII]When gravity fails

Re: OT: Dune

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 08:12:37 -0500
Subject: Re: OT: Dune

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:01:45 +0100, "Zorg Industies"
<mr_zorg@lycos.co.uk>
wrote:

>I noticed that there were 3 videos fr Dune th TV series in blockbuster,
but
>would invite honest opinions before I shell out my hard earned cash :)

I picked up the Dune TV series used, on DVD, just a couple of days ago
(I
thought it was a bargain at $7.99). I have only seen the last episode,
and
thought it was much closer to the book than the theatrical film.

While a fan of David Lynch (I saw almost all of _Twin Peaks_ and just
recently
picked up _Mulholland Dr._), I didn't care at all for his version of
_Dune_. I
remember seeing it in the theatres and being horribly disappointed. I
didn't
care for the look of the _Dune_ universe. I hated the stillsuits with no
head
piece (it seemed to defeat the purpose). I also hated the habit of
having the
thoughts of the characters spoken out loud. Yes, I know it shows up that
way
in the book, but it came over as very stupid in places. The effects were
so-so. Some were good, others looked really cheesy. I also didn't like
the
"voice weapon" at the end of the movie. I remember coming out of it
being
peeved that now that was a movie, no one would do a "correct" version of
_Dune_.

Most fans of _Dune_ that I've talked to prefer the TV series, which
isn't
without its problems, apparently. The episode that I saw seemed okay,
though.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator

Prev: RE: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: RE: [DSII]When gravity fails