Prev: Re: Armour Piercing 201 (Advanced Ceramics) Next: RE: RE: [OT] wargaming at work (was Steel Wariors)

Re: Armour Piercing 201 (Advanced Ceramics)

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 10:30:23 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Armour Piercing 201 (Advanced Ceramics)

Quoting Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@webone.com.au>:
> but that's another matter. Your "ceramic fragments and steel absorbs"
> bit
> might well
> be important, I dunno, I didn't study those domains, just the worst
> cases.

It's more for the pure penetrator cases - as soon as you start playing
with any
of the more advanced rounds, things do get complicated...

{In the realm we were looking at armour types for, we're looking to
defend
against sharp, high-impact objects - axes, notably. Splash isn't so much
of a
problem as complete penetration. The other advantage to ceramics is that
the
surfaces are easier to curve in multiple directions to help deflect
cutting
tools and pincers. Which don't tend to be an issue with proper armoured
vehicles... oh, and ceramics don't melt. But then neither do many metals
at the
temperatures the flame-throwers are limited to...}

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions
katie@fysh.org katie.lucas@parasolsolutions.com
http://www.parasolsolutions.com

Prev: Re: Armour Piercing 201 (Advanced Ceramics) Next: RE: RE: [OT] wargaming at work (was Steel Wariors)