Prev: Re: This is _so_ not appreciated (was Re: AMERICA, RIGHT OR WRONG?) Next: Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

From: Edward Lipsett <translation@i...>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 15:25:45 +0900
Subject: Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

I think what he was saying (putting words in his mouth) was that at an
angle
you have to cover a lot of area with a sloped plate. If you take the
same
volume (not area, volume!) of steel, you can make a very thick front
plate
standing vertically.
Your point remains true, of course.

on 02.5.1 3:14 PM, Brian Burger at yh728@victoria.tc.ca wrote:

>> If I take the same mass of sloped armour and make armour
perpendicular
>> to the ground I gain the same thickness you would gain from the
>> slope.  Space would remain the same (If I pivot the slope about
>> the center everything I lose from the bottom reappears on the
>> top.)
>
> Nope, you're just reduced the *effective* thickness of your armour by
the
> percentage (roughly) that it used to be sloped. Do a bit of scribbling
on
> scrap paper, and you'll see what I mean. Draw two parallel lines for
the
> inner & outer surfaces of your hypothetical armour plate, and then
measure
> lines passing thru at differing angles - non-perpendicular lines are
> naturally going to be longer, equalling 'thicker' armour when it's
sloped.

--
In some respects the better a book is, the less it demands from the
binding.