Prev: Re: Moderation of GZG-L (was Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye) Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1108

Re: [FT] Naval Manpower

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:28:33 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Naval Manpower

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Donogh McCarthy wrote:

> Interesting article on Northrops new naval designs
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5236-2002Apr29.html
>
> In relation to the new Destroyer Class design it states:
>
> "Under the plan, sailors' standard of living also would be drastically
> improved. For example, three-tier bunk beds would be replaced with
> staterooms shared by as many as three sailors and outfitted with
computers
> and Internet connections. Crew sizes would drop from 300 to 125, then
> eventually to 95. "It allows the Navy to free up a lot of resources,"
> [defense analyst Jay] Korman said.
>
> Questions arising from this:

And #4:

How do they plan to deal with damage control with only a fraction of the
original crew size? AFAIK, damage control capability is still a big
factor
in crew sizes. However, it's not an area I'm very familiar with, perhaps
someone knowledgeable could comment?

Cheers,

Prev: Re: Moderation of GZG-L (was Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye) Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1108