Prev: Re: A thought about points systems Next: Re: Moderation of GZG-L (was Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye)

Kicking vs comments....Re: [OT] Goodbye to John was Re: Mr. Szabo's utter inability to think clearly or hold any moral standards

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:41:21 -0400
Subject: Kicking vs comments....Re: [OT] Goodbye to John was Re: Mr. Szabo's utter inability to think clearly or hold any moral standards

At 1:23 PM -0500 4/29/02, Allan Goodall wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:27:11 -0500, Jim Callahan <res03m1u@gte.net>
wrote:

>>2) Don't "boot" anybody because of their opinion, however idiotic or
>>distasteful. Free speech is ugly, but fascism is worse.
>
>My only concern about this is the problem of "censorship through
yelling". In
>other words, the one who yells the loudest is the most heard. Those who
don't
>feel like yelling leave.

I dunno. Its hard to yell on the net. Frankly, the best method of
toning someone down is when several list members tell someone to take
a chill and shut up. That's the best method. Moderation of a list
with this much traffic would be a pain and would lead to lots of
annoying message surges.

>At what point is one person's "ugly" free speech worth more than the
speech of
>those who were silenced because they left in disgust. At what point
does the
>list die from one person's rants because a critical mass of people
left?

Its the internet. If something strong makes you run off, you probably
aren't doing so well in the environment of internet popups, utterly
free speech and general raw nature of the net.

>Hopefully this will end up being a tempest in a teacup and things will
float
>back to normal. I just wonder how many potentially interesting people
are
>being steered away from this list due to all the noise, or the loudness
of
>that noise...

True true true.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: A thought about points systems Next: Re: Moderation of GZG-L (was Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye)