Prev: [SG] Close Assault Next: Re: Andromeda

Andromeda

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:27:41 -0400
Subject: Andromeda

One thing Binhan (I think it was B who posted the great info on
Andromeda) missed, or the site did, was the capability of Andromeda to
deploy large (I'd call them size 5 or oversize) assault walkers (armed
with a variety of weapons but multiple RFACs are a good start) from
orbit to a planetary surface.

That's kind of a handy ability too and argues for even more internal
space.

Like Jon, I imagine the Heavy Cruiser to be the principal line combatant
before the fall. Now, could there/will there be larger ships? Maybe, but
probably fairly rare. The HC looks like it has enough capability and
crew (including a pile of infantry aboard in proper crewing) to handle
most problems on its own. And a squadron of these would be quite
terrifying. I'm guessing BDN or DN size would be appropriate in FT.

Some of you who track FT scales (or notional ones), how big would

Length: 1301 m
Beam: 976 m
Height: 325 m

actually be as a model? What mass does that argue for?

>From capabilities alone, one might say (note this translates to a
pretty
huge mass):
Thrust 4
6 PDS
6 SML (maybe 2 rounds each?)
6 B-1 (360)
6 squadrons attack fighters
6 squadrons standard fighters
2 squadrons Aerospace fighters
2 heavy drone squadrons
1 light drone squadron
3 firecons
No shields, but lots of armour and a decent amount of hull integrity
Plus drop troops and onboard infantry
FTL

This model makes it look like a cross between an ordinance vessel, a
marine assault ship, and a heavy carrier.

Prev: [SG] Close Assault Next: Re: Andromeda