Prev: Re: WIMMEN SOJERS FROM DOWN UNDER Next: [OT] RE: RP Trees was Re: [OT] Sea Leopard

Re: RP Trees was Re: [OT] Sea Leopard

From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@p...>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:12:37 -0700
Subject: Re: RP Trees was Re: [OT] Sea Leopard

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:04:24 -0700 "Brian Bilderback"
> <bbilderback@hotmail.com> writes:
> <snip>
> >Let's see.  My blanket statement was that MOST terrain in the pacific
> >wasn't
> >suited for LARGE-SCALE tank combat.	Other than exceptions like Korea
> >and
> >Manchuria, most of the pacific WAS pretty jungle-clad, no?  Or maybe
> >I'm
> >hallucinating all those trees in places like the Phillipines....
> >
> >3B^2

Here I go again.......

There were actually more places suited for tank combat in the Pacific
than
you might think.  True, places like Guadalcanal and the interior of the
Philippines were ill-suited for tank use, but tanks saw plenty of use
(and to
a greater or lesser extent, success) on islands such as Iwo Jima (great
place
for flame tanks), Saipan, Pelileu, and Okinawa.  IIRC, even Tarawa
(Betio)
saw limited use of tanks.  They were necessarily used in a great battle
of
maneuver and speed as they were in Europe, but were ideally suited for
blasting Japanese bunkers and strongpoints that couldn't be knocked out
with
aerial bombs or the arcing fire the battlewagons and cruisers.

Prev: Re: WIMMEN SOJERS FROM DOWN UNDER Next: [OT] RE: RP Trees was Re: [OT] Sea Leopard